Search This Blog

Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Jimmy Palmiotte Interview

Mr. Palmitotti didn't have time to do my podcast but did agree to answer my questions via Facebook e-mail which was awesome.

Jimmy Palmiotti March 21 at 6:31pm


TSChamp:Professional History

Jimmy Palmiottie:Started out of college as a graphic artist and art director for 8 years then got a job in comics and after wearing every hat I could in the business, settles in as a writer. Long and short of it…I always wanted to create comic characters.

TS: How did you get your start in comics?

JP:At first ghosting for other artists, then helping a friend of mine in the business till I made enough contacts and was able to start getting my own work. After that I have been working steady for the past 19 years. The key word is perseverance.

TS:What was the biggest challenge you face trying to get into comics?

JP:Not giving up and doing new samples weekly. Persistence in any field eventually pays off. not listening to others tell you what you can and cant do also helps. I had a lot of people telling me there was no way I would make it in the business. I just ignored them.

TS: Who was your mentor those early years?

JP:My teachers, then artist Mark Texeria and now anyone I admire. There is no single person that has taught me everything. This is a business where you have to learn it all yourself in a way , yet be smart enough to listen to those who came before you.

Inker

TS: How do you define the job inker?

JP:Someone who takes the pencils of others and creatively renders them in ink so they can go to a colorist to get printed. Some inkers are super talented, and some trace.

TS: What was your major responsibility as an inker?

JP:Get the job in on time and make the job look good , clean and readable. Never to overshadow the penciler.

TS: How did being an inker help your penciling?

JP:It hurt it in the long run because I worked over a lot of people that were winging it. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn’t ever ink. I would have spent the time actually working on my art. Right now, inking is on its way out because of scanning. Less and less books are being inked. It is a tough job in comics to be looking to make a living at. The guys working full time now are the best in the business because they bring something unique to the page.


Penciling
TS: Who fuel your artistic talent?

JP:My parents and all the artists I admire. It’s a never ending parade of talented people. when I was younger, mostly Frank Frazetta , Wally Wood, Jack Davis , Sterenko, and Paul Gulacy.

TS: What is greatest challenge when penciling?

JP:Getting the actual job done and keeping the storytelling clear.

TS: What is the difference in doing pencils for the big two and the indies? Is there one?

JP:Pay. Other than that…none, if you are doing your job correctly.

Writer

TS:How did you go from inker to penciling to writing?

JP:I have always written since I was a child so it was a natural progression that I pushed forward by self-publishing. The first writing gig I ever had, I hired myself…lol.

TS:Have found the challenges in writing the same/different as penciling and inking?

JP:Writing is easier than art for me. I cannot speak for others, but writing “there were hundreds of men storming the castle” is a billion times easier than drawing it. I have around 20 story ideas a day…no kidding…so the challenge is getting all of those ideas down and out of my brain.

JP: Can you describe the feeling when you saw your first story published compare to your art?

It a feeling I have each and every time a book of mine comes out. A bit of joy and some sorrow of what it could have been if I was better. Very few times ever have I been satisfied. Really.


Companies

TS: Is there a difference in environment between Marvel and DC?

JP:Yes, but it is a financial one. Marvel does not give you foreign royalties for your work that is published outside the USA or when they are used in other mediums. D.C. Comics is much more involved with its creators in that respect and has creator-shared projects and characters and gives a % of royalties for foreign editions. I have hope marvel will get this together one day with the Disney people and with Joe and Dan up there, things are always changing for the better. Both companies are filled with amazing characters and really good people though and I love working for both of them. I will say that marvel books tend to sell more than dc, so the royalties are more there…but its all leveling out now because people are less “marvel/dc” people and are just buying the books or artist/writers they like, and not for the company name.

TS: What Universe is more fun to play in DC or Marvel? Why?

JP:Both are amazing. I really love the characters and don’t look at them as companies like most people do.

TS:What is major challenge when shifting between Marvel Universe and DC Universe?

None…they all have history you must study to write them. I am slowly learning more about the dc characters on a daily basis. I grew up reading sci-fi and horror mostly.

Power Girl
TS:Were you expecting how well the readers reacted to the book?

JP:No…and it has been amazing…but the numbers have gone down each and every month…so I’m not really sure what to make of it all.

TS: What was the challenge in writing Power Girl?

JP:Not worrying about her back history and developing a here and now attitude with her. Thank god we had Amanda Conner on board. It made it all so easy.

TS: With your recent departure from the book, is Power Girl become one of those characters that you want to come back to?

JP:YES, for sure. We love her and Terra and the whole cast we created. These are our kids in a way and you never want to say goodbye.

TS: Your reactions to the readers take on Judd Winnick taking over Power Girl? Flattered? Amused? Or typical reaction that you were expecting?

JP:They are mixed and that’s expected. We had it when we took over hawkman…its part of the job. Judd will be awesome on the title. We aren’t worried one bit.

The Future
TS: Do you plan to write another TV series like you did Painkiller Jane?

JP:I have a feature and some TV lined up…so yes.

TS: Is there a character that would like to write that you haven’t had chance to yet?

JP:Every character I have ever created and co- created. It's fun to write others chearcters, but no where as fun as writing your own. No comparison.

TS: At this stage of your career, what is next step you want to take in the Comic Book Industry?

JP:RANDOM ACTS OF VIOLENCE from image comics is the next step on many levels. Its one of many original graphic novels we have coming soon. Also, coming this summer from RADICAL COMICS is TIMEBOMB with Paul Gulacy. It’s a 150 page graphic novel in three parts. Some of the best work we have done as well.

TS: With the age of Internet, what is your take on the interaction between writers and readers?

JP:I love my readers and I love that we can chat so easily. I think its all good. My blog at http://jimmypalmiotti.blogspot.com/ really keeps me in touch with people.
Listen To Jimmy
jimmypalmiotti.blogspot.com
This is a page from the beginning of the book and not a very pleasant page for sure. its a comic page within a comic page...and horrific. Giancarlo really caught the panic in the girls face and paul mounts ...

0 comments: